Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Thing 15 - Online Gaming

I chose Second Life for this thing, because it brings to mind the Metaverse virtual world in Neal Stephenson's book, Snow Crash. Also, this news story about Second Life cheating and divorce also pops into my head, and motivates me to not get to into online gaming. I haven't used Second Life personally, but some of my friends have,and I've watched over their shoulders. I think it's creepy and interesting, but I don't want to spend my money and time on it.
So anyway, now I have a Second Life, and 22.8 MB less hardrive space. Ugg. Username: Smitten Tchailenov. And I can't open Second Life. I can log into my account, can't go anywhere. Having wasted a significant amount of time and harddrive space, I am now angry. I am done with online gaming for now.
From what I've seen of other people using Second Life, it takes people a while to find their way around, and alot of things that provide a diversity of experiences have to be purchased.
I think libraries (and LifeChurch)are going to where the people are, and the people are on Second Life, so libraries and other social and information centers will go there, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment