Sunday, October 4, 2009

Thing 9 - Online Collaboration Tools

Editing the declaration of independence was cool on my own, but it was also really interesting for me to see the Minnesota Public Libraries collaborative edit. I think the Founding Fathers might like it, but I’m not sure if it would be faster for all the FFs to review and edit the Declaration of Independence, or if it was less cumbersome to just have a couple of guys look at it, and then everyone else agree that its good enough to sign. In my work, I think it is better to use use Google documents ( which I prefer – Google knows what I like, darn them).
Collaborative editing would save time and confusion in my job. I create the original rough draft document of whatever we’re working on, and then I send that document to the resident expert on whatever the subject matter of the document is, too my boss and to the Quality Assurance team. They then have to send back the edited copies(sometimes hardcopy, WHY?) to me, and I put them together and do the same thing again until everyone is satstified. If we used Zoohoo writer or Google docs, I could probably save time and elimate an aspect of my job. My company would then give me more coffee breaks or less hours, maybe. Risky. :)

2 comments:

  1. You currently don't use collaborative tools in your office? Surprising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW! I asked my boss about why we don't use something like Google Docs, and he said it was because it made IT nervous. It's a little frustrating, but it's not his fault. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete